Sunday, October 21, 2012

University Malaya: How it all begins?


I am a girl who planned how my life would turn out to be way before the time comes. I have always been the type of girl who is determined to make it happen when it needs to be. By hook or by crook I work my ass off to achieve whatever that I want.

Upon finishing my SPM, I wanted to be in matriculation and I know I will be. I did. I opt for accountancy programme and I manage it very well. I passed both semesters with flying colours and I am proud of it. Since the decision to be in matriculation is mine, I’ve made the right decision. But then, I came to a crossroads. Where shall I continue afterwards?

I am not that familiar with any of the universities in Malaysia. Let alone knowing what field to further in. How will campus life be? Will it be similar to matriculation lifestyle; supervision is just close by. I think hard and deep for the next step of my education years.

When the application begins, I consulted my close friends. Where should we go to? Most of them applied for UPM and UiTM. Hmmm. They’ve made their decision. What am I suppose to do now? Follow the lead or create my own path? I’m left with that question for days.

At first, my option was similar to the rest. I picked UPM. I was very much keen to further in business administration programme. So I told my mom about it. Her reaction was, why not UM? I was dumbfounded by my mom’s reaction. UM huh? Wow that’s tough.

However it was that question that got me back on my laptop and staring at the application form once again. One more chance to edit it all and one more day before the application closes. Should I or shouldn’t I? After staring for hours, I decided to change my first option to UM and enrol for Economics and Administration instead of Business.

I’m done. No longer will I have to face the difficult question of what and where anymore. Now all left is for me to wait. Deep down, I don’t really think I’ll make it into UM. It is just way too out of reach. And so I thought...

After that very final decision of mine, the time has come and the result is out. The first thing I did on that very morning was to turn my laptop and be on standby mode. Once the clock struck, I rushed to the website and key in the details needed. Eager to know where I will be for the next 3 to 4 years, I can’t hide my nervousness. Lucky thing I am all alone on that very day.

The first word I saw was Tahniah. Congratulations. OK that is a good start. Now the next question is where? I scroll down and keep staring. You are accepted to University Malaya for Economics and Administration programme.

I smile, I jump and I wonder how will life in UM be.

No comments:

Post a Comment