Tuesday, January 22, 2013

X Y Gen

Lately everyday has been hectic to me.
Whether it is physically or mentally, both taken its toll on me.
Being the me that I am, I always tend to ignore rather than indulge.
But there will be times where everything is out of proportion. 
And all that you want to do is sigh all day.

Yesterday was somehow a breather to me.
I was back in UM for a little occasion.
It was a press conference for an upcoming conference co-hosts by UM and Taylor's University.
I'm not gonna elaborate more on the event itself.
There was a particular matter that caught my attention and I feel called upon to write on it. 

At one point, they emphasize on how different the Y Gen are to the  X Gen.
I can't agree more on the matter. 
Over the years I have observe and often being caught up with the issue. 
It is difficult to fill in the gap and create understanding for this issue in particular.

The X Gen will always sees life in one way, while the Y Gen will see it from many points of view.
It may not happen in all cases but in many it literally is. 
They sometime are struck and stuck with the old ways of doing things that they will directly reject any new approach in diverting on anything. 

The common example is in cooking. 
I love to cook, but I love to do it in a not so conventional way. 
I will do whatever I feel like. 
Nothing in order or nothing like the cookbook steps.
However, when I am in the kitchen with my mum or grandma it will be chaos.
To me it is chaos; I'm not allowed to do this and that, I need to follow this and that, I need to ensure I used this much amount of this and this and the list goes on and on. 
In the end, the dish ends up to be similar; more or less the same. 
So why the hassle when the result is equal?

One more thing about the Y Gen is that they are more laid back and they have flair. 
They may be bombarded with a whole bunch of to do lists, but still be relaxed. 
On the other hand, the X Gen will be taking it more seriously and push it to the edge.

Another example courtesy of my personal experience; Planning a wedding. 
The thing about planning a wedding, it involves A LOT of stuffs.
Attires, foods, decorations, invitations, guest lists and etc. 
I am officially the unofficial wedding planner.
I was asked to handle quite a number of tasks.
Mum instantly put me under a lot of pressure but I managed it adequately.
I did it without any hassle and was pretty at ease in doing everything. 

Mum however was a very different story.
She was anxious on everything. 
Whenever she is, I will be stucked with all the anxiety.
The pressure will be exerted straight to me and I will be pissed. 
I don't fancy doing things under that kind of pressure. 
The only pressure I love is when it comes from me. 
And that is how I function my best. 

The purpose I am writing on this is not to have a winner on which Gen is the better. 
Each of the two has their own strength and weakness to their names. 
The differences is something that is difficult to avoid given the years of life and living both had. 
However the gaps between the two can be closed if better understanding is formed.
The X Gen should incorporate new ways in approaching the Y Gen.
The Y Gen also should try to express in better ways to the X Gen. 

If we manage to find the right formula in decoding this issue, I'm sure life will be better.
We will understand one another much vividly than before. 

It doesn't hurt trying.
Let's get on board...

No comments:

Post a Comment